Custom and Historic Projects
As historic and restoration experts, our services have been utilized on over 100 projects across Canada and the United States. These are just a few examples of projects we have been proud to work on over the past 30 years.
Dundurn National Historic site is one of the finest..if not THE finest historic property in Canada. Their curatorial team lead by Ken Heaman is meticulous in its presentation and vision for Sir Allan MacNab's estate. We were fortunate enough to provide museum quality circa 1850s gasoliers from our private collection as well as act a historic consultant for their current lighting and future acquisitions.
Situated in the picturesque town of Ancaster, Ontario, the Old Town Hall originates from the 1870s and is a popular venue hosting weddings, celebrations community events. Heritage, preservation and functionality were the key requirements of the lighting here. It included restoring and retrofitting 2 early 20th century chandeliers for LEDs, creating 2 complimentary fixtures to match and 2 custom spot lights for the stage.
|Jack Astor's flagship restaurant is a must visit if you are in Toronto and going to a Blue Jays game. Located in a 19th century warehouse downtown, the interior design team there approached us with the idea and vision for their lighting. We looked at the images and made it happen. It was an incredible project that included 7 custom Art Deco 3 tiered chandeliers and 8 custom chrome Machine Age table lamps.|
|Situated on St. George Rd in Toronto's famed Annex neighbourhood, the First Church of Christ, Scientist has been a prominent fixture there since 1914. We were commissioned to craft 3 exterior lanterns based off the architects design. They needed to be solid brass and able to withstand the elements under any conditions. The end result was spectacular and the lanterns fit perfectly. A light opalescent glass was chosen for the panels and each lamp is illuminated with LEDs to ensure longevity, energy savings and reduced maintenance costs.|
|The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel is a Hollywood landmark. We were fortunate enough craft a set of custom flush mount and chandeliers fusing contemporary lines with the romanticism of yesteryear. Designed in New York by a Willie Landau Interiors, we were commissioned to make the lights based on their specs and drawings. The result was a stunning series of lights which are truly one of a kind.|
|The Winchester Hotel is a Cabbagetown landmark. Built in 1891 its housed gangsters, bars, elegant restaurants and now Tim Horton's. Located at the corner unit, its definitely the most historic and elegant Tim Horton's in the city. The design firm handling the interior had us custom make an elaborate 8 light chandelier accompanied by 12 of our Custom Elmwood Wall sconces.|
|Providing lighting for the National Geographic Society was an incredible honour. 1 Custom Dorchester Light and 3 Dufferin 4 Light fixtures were specified for their board room and we modified each one to suit their ceiling height and various table widths. Being in that it was a long distance order, we sent finish samples down and provided detailed photos and renderings of the fixtures before being made. Crated and shipped to Washington D.C. they were installed and look incredible.|
|Built in 1913 and designed by famed Toronto architect Eden Smith, Grace Church on the Hill is a historic Anglican Church in Toronto's Forest Hill neighbourhood. We were contracted to restore the original cast iron post lights on the south entrance. When they were removed and brought into our shop we assessed damage to the glass and cast iron areas that had been corroded or split. Repairs were made and period style glass sourced and confirmed by the client. To last another 100 years, we stripped the original paint and repainted them in a high strength exterior paint which protected them against rust or corrosion. They don't make quality post lights like these anymore which is why its always better to restore than replace.|
|Spadina House is a local gem and has a storied history. When the City of Toronto was bequeathed the property and all of its contents in 1982, we were contracted to restore the original lighting. An eclectic combination of gas lighting from the 1870s along with later electric lighting was restored by us where it still hangs to this day.|
|Built in 1873, Ste-Anne Church is one of the rare examples of Quebec architecture in Ontario and is designated heritage property. Home to St. Clement Parish, the Roman Catholic church underwent renovations which resulted in the discovery of the original brass sanctuary light. When it was brought into us, it has numerous dents, some missing castings but was otherwise in good condition. We cleaned and restored the original brass finish, replicated a detailed acanthus scroll and removed extensive dents and dings. Fortunately all of the original cast chains were there making it ideal to restore and hang while we fit an period style red glass cylinder. When the restoration was complete and the light hung, the church and community was overjoyed to have an original part of their heritage serving in mass.|
|Built in 1822. Campbell House is an early example of stately Toronto architecture in the Georgian fashion. Originally it stood at the intersection of Adelaide and Frederick St next to Toronto's first post office. As the area around it became largely industrial, the house was picked up and moved in 1972. Currently residing on the northwest corner of University and Queen Street west, the house is a popular local museum. We provided 2 period style Custom Mackenzie Georgian Revival chandeliers which proudly hang in one of their drawing rooms.|
|8 King Street East dates from the early 1900s and is one of Toronto's earliest skyscrapers. Like any commercial space its gone through a series of renovations over the years with its latest incarnation being a nod to the Art Deco era. We provided 2 outstanding Art Deco chandeliers for the lobby which were originally out of a skyscraper in Kansas City. In the upper halls, we recast an original deco flush mount sconce as well as crafting custom elevator lights.|
|Alderlea is a sprawling Italianate Victorian mansion that is a landmark property in Brampton's historic core. We were fortunate enough to work with Taylor Hazell Architects who were responsible for many of the renovations. They required a period style gasolier and we crafted a 6 light gasolier based on our existing Custom Chelsea gas style chandelier. Fitted with Greek Key 2 5/8" shades, it was a perfect addition to a grand hallway.|
|Located in Hoggs Hollow, the Canadian Forces College was founded on the grounds of the Strathrobyn Estate built in 1943. We were fortunate enough to provide period lighting for the principal house original to the estate. Our Custom 5 Light Wakefield along with a variety of Elgin Flush Mount fixtures fit perfectly in the historic and well loved house.|
|Located in the hamlet of Baden, Ontario just outside Kitchener-Waterloo, Castle Kilbride is one of the finest Italianate mansions in the province. Built in 1877 by James Livingston, Castle Kilbride features ornate, decorative painted walls and ceilings. When it was renovated by the the Township in the 90s, we were responsible for the supply and restoration of some magnificent gas fixtures.|
|Built in 1913 in the Tudor/Jacobean style, Government House is the official residence of the Lieutenant Governors of Alberta. We were fortunate to provide an excellent selection of vintage period lights along with our Custom Jardin Wall sconces.|
|The private banking hall of the Bank of Montreal is connected to Toronto's financial past. Now a home for high equity movers and shakers, the interior remains as ornate as it was in 1910. We were commissioned to recreate one of the Beaux Arts chandeliers in the hall, restore the other 2 and restore a set of 4 original torcheire lamps. In thanks for our efforts we received an Award of Merit from the Ontario Heritage Foundation.a|
|The Miller Lash House is one of Toronto's finest Arts & Crafts homes which now operates as an upscale venue for weddings, parties and assorted events. Originally built around 1914-1915, it was designed with pure Arts and Crafts principles and aesthetics which feature rusticated stone work, low hanging roof lines and an emphasis on simple design. Throughout the years we have been fortunate to supply and restore a variety of historic Arts and Crafts lighting in the house which are prominently featured in the period rooms.|
|A stately municipal building, Meaford Town Hall and Opera House was built in 1908 in the Edwardian style. When the Opera House was restored 10 years ago, we were commissioned to make a custom set of 4 wall sconces and 2 chandeliers for the great hall.|
|Temagami Ontario is known more for its rugged natural beauty than architectural history. The Temagami Railway station is an exception to the rule though as its echos the rustic Northern Ontario landscape through its design. When it was restored in the early 2000s, we were commissioned to create a series of lights based on our popular Custom 4 Light Dufferin fixture as well as matching wall sconces.|